I almost didn’t believe it this morning when I turned on the TV in my Nashville hotel room and heard the news of Whitey Bulger’s arrest. My first thought? I instantly wished that I was in Boston, hearing the news coverage firsthand from the Boston news outlets. One of my friends phrased it perfectly when they said, “Cannot believe they finally caught Whitey Bulger. Not sure if folks outside of Boston understand how big of deal his capture is in this city.”
I lieu of being in Boston to chat about the story with friends and colleagues, I turned to Facebook and Twitter, both of which were brimming with comments. While many touched upon the significance of Bulger’s arrest, sharing news articles and commentary, others went in an entirely different direction. The blessing and curse of social media sites is that people can say anything they want and Bulger’s notable arrest is no exception.
As a result, I couldn’t resist sharing some of the entertaining posts and tweets I found on Facebook and Twitter – names removed to protect the commentators:
1. Osama’s dead….Bruins won the cup….and now they caught Whitey….WOW.
2. You had a good run Whitey, all good things come to an end.
3. I also enjoy a nice trip to Santa Monica. Good choice, Whitey.
4. OJ confesses and Whitey is captured in the same day. I’m sure there’s an Obama press conference taking credit coming.
5. Boss is all excited that Whitey is in the news. “His brother signed my diploma from UMass” – And people wonder why I got hired.
6. Whitey and I were apparently both in Santa Monica today.
7. Ah #WhiteyBulger looks like a sweet old man in his booking photo.
8. Will there now be a sequel to The Departed?
9. Love the idea I’ve seen on Twitter a few times today, that any news reader doing a piece about #WhiteyBulger should use a Southie accent.
10. Will they bring #WhiteyBulger home on a Duck Boat?
What was your reaction to the news of Whitey Bulger’s arrest?